Calling this recommended reading would be too light, this is essential reading for anyone working in Marketing. Full stop.
"Understanding the Economics of Digital Compared to Traditional Advertising and Media Services,” is a definitive text explaining how digital is unlike any other medium at a marketers disposal. The book quantifies why digital cannot be viewed using traditional non-digital benchmarks, and how both agency and client will benefit from a greater understanding of the economics driving digital. Presented by The 4A’s and written by McCann COO Joe Burton, this is a users manual for the web2.0 marketplace.
In it, Burton examines:
- the cost and service differences between traditional and digital
- commission rates
- reach and frequency targets
- return on investment capabilities of digital
- key drivers that contribute to the costs of digital advertising
- the differences between digital and traditional executions
I would urge all digital and non-digital marketers to give this a read.